Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Remembering

Many of the memories I have with my dad (in the first decade of my life), were made when I accompanied him to work.  He owned a cleaning service; he cleaned homes and offices.  He also delivered the Tribune and the Sun Times.  He was also an ordained minister and an elder and counselor in our church (for which he did not receive any monetary pay). He also drove a bus. 

When I was three, (it is possible that my younger brother had just arrived and my mom needed to rest) I remember riding in the seat of the bus behind my dad to pick up the kids from school, including my older brother, who was in Kindergarten.

Saturdays seemed to be his busiest day.  I often went with and helped dust the empty offices.  One year he had a toy store as a client (Toys by Rizzi-they were at the four corners in Downers Grove; and, they later "hit it big" in the popcorn business and closed the toy store).  The owner of the company had invited us to his home for Christmas.  Their home was really nice.  They proceeded to give us more gifts than I had ever seen (I remember playing with those toys for years...and eventually giving them to my sister, who is eight years younger than I).  I may have been 4 or 5 at the time.

Dad also had a client in an exclusive gated community in Oakbrook.  They were German and had three boys and traveled often.  I think their father was on the Chicago Board of Trade.  Needless to say, it was a LOT of fun to go and play with ALL the toys they had in their basement.  I don't think I am exaggerating much to say that it was about the size of half a football field and FULL of toys.   I can tell you LOTS of stories about their family because we paid attention to all the ways they were different from us (including what we wished we had!).

I loved the ladies in Hinsdale, whose houses he cleaned (three in a row, right near downtown).  They were so kind to us.  It was so sad when one passed away (it was about the same time my dad's business went bankrupt and a lot of other things happened in our lives).

I frequently got out of bed at 2am (I think that is what time it was) to ride in the cold car (it always seemed cold) to go with my dad to stuff and then deliver all the Sunday papers.  We also delivered the NY Times; but, there weren't many that received it.  Once we filled our car, the only space left for us to sit was ON TOP of the papers.  It was fun!  Really!  Sometimes, we even had a coupon for Dunkin Donuts and we would stop to get some on the way home.  I don't remember resting (but, maybe we did) and then we would get ready to go to church.

Just thinking about it, kids really have it easy today (in some ways).  I really enjoyed those times with dad; and, I learned a lot!  I loved getting to know the people he worked for and learning about the businesses (including my dad's!).  There is more that I wish he would have taught me; but, I am so grateful for the time that we had, making memories.  I hope that my husband and I can include our children in more of our work and give them experiences that may better enable them to shape their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment