Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Back to the Drawing Boards

A little over a year ago, we purchased a second dry erase board easel for our then-3-year-old for his half birthday present.  He LOVED it!  I could tell by his reaction how special he felt (his older brother had one that he always wanted to use).  But, I put it right NEXT to his big brother's easel board.  So, after witnessing him comparing his own drawings to the intricate drawings of his brother's; I sighed (to myself) and felt that his drawing would improve with practice.

Except, he STOPPED practicing.  He did not draw on this board that he LOVED.  He must have felt inadequate somehow.  This made me so sad. 

UNTIL, I had a light bulb moment!  I turned around both easels so they were back-to-back (or, chalkboard to chalkboard, LOL) so that he could no longer easily compare his drawings to those of his brother.  I did not show him or tell him what I did.  I just waited.

I feel like it happened slowly.  One day, my now 4 1/2 year old just started drawing on "his" board and kept doing it, more and more frequently, until his drawings began to take shape!  He now has very detailed drawings and does not try (as much) to just make what his older brother is making.

It is rare that a day goes by that he does not draw on his board.  He is happy and engaged and PROUD of his drawings.  Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment