Friday, October 5, 2012

Ultimate Faith

I am nervous writing these words down.  What do I know?  I recently had some conversations (with others) that brought these thoughts to the surface and have prompted new conversations between my husband and I (and, we have found we agree!).  I hope that this comes out the way I intend.  Here goes...

Every organized religion follows God's word in some way.  Every bible has been interpreted in some way.  Every person interprets the bible in their own way.

Let me point some things out.  It is impossible to directly translate from one language to another.  Impossible.  There are always words and phrases open to interpretation by the interpreter.  So, some intended meanings are (possibly temporarily) lost (or adjusted a bit) in translation.

Having said that, I believe that when we walk in faith (the absolute unknown) with God, there are no words to guide us, only emotion.  I believe that our bibles give us amazing insight and excellent suggestions.  But, sometimes I don't agree with the Bible (gasp!)  How can I possibly question God's word?  Well, that is not easy at all.  It means we have to have faith, not just in him, but in ourselves.

Again, this is really hard to write.  I am no better than anyone.  But, I have beliefs that are making me shake while I write these words.  I am in awe of Him.  And, I believe he resides in all of us.  He is not only within us; but, he surrounds us--in Nature, in others, in our abilities to create, but mostly in our love for each other.

So, I believe the "ultimate faith" is having the courage to walk with Him, not on someone else's path (interpretation), but on the path you create.

Anyone who is interested in furthering this conversation, I am open.  I also recommend, "Making Room" by Christine Pohl.  It has provided me wonderful insight that backs up my own beliefs.


3 comments:

  1. I believe Melissa that there is so much that our minds cannot comprehend and agree that there is always something lost in the translation. I believe that God does not get "mad" if or when we get it "wrong". No need to shake! I think He looks at us with the same joy that we have when our children stumble over their first 'See Spot Run" book. He knows that if we are open to learning and committed to studying, one day we might even comprehend "War and Peace" The joy is in the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rereading my words this morning, Dan, I realize I have so much more to say. I know this is my journey. I have endless questions. I know that each person's journey is different and equally amazing. Just as I know that each person's interpretation of God's word is not "wrong", except when it is used as an excuse for violence. It is amazing to me how the same words can have so many meanings, depending on how you read them or what other teachings influence your train of thought.

      Delete
  2. I am re-reading some of my posts; and, I have learned more since I wrote this. I know I need God for everything. I am grateful for what I have learned and for the life and journey I have been given. I still have so many questions. I pray for answers.

    ReplyDelete