Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Poem for my Father


My Dad 

Lover of roses and lilacs
Lover of the color purple
Lover of music with a happy soul (i.e., Polka)
Lover of people, friendly to (almost) all
Lover of happy movies (i.e., “Sound of Music”)
Lover of knowledge and facts
Lover of honesty
Lover of food (always a hearty appetite)
Lover of style (always a “dapper” gentleman)
Lover of foreign words and phrases (i.e., “Gezundheit!”, “Arrivederci!”, “Buenas Noches”)
Lover of family (lucky me!)

From workaholic business owner, elder and minister
To PTO president, divorced and devoted dad

I am lucky to have known you my whole life--

To have listened to your foreign salutations
And Irish lullabies

To have heard you sing like Bing Crosby
And dance like Elvis

To have rolled my eyes at your memory for names (first and last!)
And teaching of scripture (forgive me)

To have listened in awe and admiration
As you correctly guessed all the answers on “Jeopardy!”
 

To have filled with pride as you spoke
To audiences of hundreds, sometimes thousands (maybe just once)  

To have filled with love as you soothed
My aching tummy 

To have filled with anger as you fought
For the love of your life (but forgot about me/us, your children)

To have filled with regret for so many things
Then slowly opened my heart

To have filled with forgiveness for you—and myself
Over time 

To have filled with sadness
When you had a stroke and lost so many of these memories
 

To be filled with pride
As I now recount your accomplishments to others

To be filled with love (and humility)
As I care for you
 
To be filled with anger
When it is overwhelming

To be filled with regret
When I act or speak out of anger

To be filled with forgiveness
Only by the power of the Holy Spirit 

To be filled with sadness
Knowing that I have to say, “Goodbye”
 

To feel these emotions every day is a blessing--
You are a blessing to me, Dad.
 
Thank you for being my father. 

I will always love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment