Friday, August 30, 2013

Low FODMAP dinner attempt = YUM!

So, I have not been very adventurous in my cooking lately because I have been afraid that I might have a reaction. And, I was beginning to feel I had lost my joy for cooking and baking...  But, I have experienced some healing the past couple of weeks; and, I think my joy was just in hiding.  I have learned a lot more and have been following the low FODMAP diet with much success.

I was inspired to replicate the flavors of the special rice the chef made for me on our vacation (ginger, cilantro and coconut milk); and, I wanted to make fish in a new way.  The outcome was even better than I expected!

At 4:30pm, one night this week, I still did not know what I wanted to make my family for dinner.  I had made some brown rice and I had thawed some tilapia fish.  I kept staring at it, knowing I did not want the same old, same old (pan-fried, served with veggies and roasted sweet potatoes).

I spied a butternut squash and kept trying to figure out how I could make it into a soup (I had some homemade fish stock I wanted to use...that I ended up NOT using).  Even as I started making this, I was planning for it to be a soup; but, it turned out more like a stew that I served over rice.  Here goes...

Coconut Fish Stew
4 large farm-raised Tilapia filets
2-3 c. cubed organic butternut squash (a beast to peel and chop; but, worth it...enough to freeze for another meal!)
2 t. organic cane sugar
1 can organic light coconut milk
1/4 c. chopped organic cilantro
2 t. ginger powder (would be better with fresh; I had to add a bit at a time and experiment...add more or less according to your taste)
Sea salt/Kosher salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Olive oil

Heat large skillet on low heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil.  When oil is fragrant, add cubed squash to brown in the pan, turning to brown on all sides and cook through. (At this point, I added Kosher salt to the squash).

In the meantime, chop the tilapia fillets into approx. 1" pieces (I use my kitchen scissors for this)
When the squash is browned on all sides and is softer, but still holds its shape, move it to the side of the pan and add the tilapia to cook through (I put some sea salt, pepper and ginger on the fish).  Cook the tilapia until it is visibly opaque.  Add the chopped cilantro and stir all together in pan.

Add the coconut milk and sugar and heat through while stirring.  Add extra salt or ginger, if needed.

Serve alone as stew or over a bed of brown rice as we did.  I could not stop eating it!  My husband said, "It was light but satisfying and delicious!"  My kids eyed it suspiciously and ate it anyway.  Perfect. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment