Friday, August 23, 2013

Gluten Free Crepes

Avoiding nuts is very hard, especially when almond flour is/was one of our gluten free staples!  Every pancake recipe we like has almond flour.  So, I looked for inspiration yesterday morning for a recipe without almond flour (so I can eat them!).

I decided to make crepes.  I was inspired by a recipe in Heidi Swanson's "Super Natural Cooking".

Please note that I just made these with my favorite method:  a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  So, I believe this will work with any blend of flours.  If your batter ends up too thick, just add more water.


Gluten Free Crepes

6 eggs
1/2 cup organic buckwheat flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup organic millet flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour
pinch of sea salt
Approx. 1 1/2 cups filtered water
butter and oil for skillet

Blend all well with a whisk. 

Heat skillet so that a splash of water "dances".

Pour 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil (or any high-heat oil) and 1 teaspoon of butter.  Heat in pan.  (Coconut oil would probably also work nicely).

Pour butter into pan (should be very thin), leaving space around to get a spatula under (if you are not adept at flipping).  I do not have a lightweight pan; so, I have not (yet) become a good "pancake flipper".  Cook on both sides.

While pouring, I often whisk in between pancakes (or just before I pour onto the pan) to prevent them separating.

Fill with anything.  Sweet or savory, your choice.  This morning, we just had them with jam and syrup.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment