Monday, June 1, 2009

Cloth Diapers v. Disposable Diapers

I researched both options (cloth and disposable diapers) before I had my first son and I feel slightly more informed since the birth of my second son, partly because there is more information available and partly because I know where to look (and know more people to ask). I have gleaned information from knowledgeable friends, periodicals, books and the internet (just plug the title of this blog into any search engine). I honestly feel like this is still a conundrum for me.

One of the biggest issues I have with disposable diapers is the contribution to landfill waste. So, I looked into using cloth diapers because my feeling is that reusable items are generally better for the environment. Before the birth of my first son, I tried to find a diaper service. Finding none, I started buying disposable diapers. I did not know there were so many other options to which I have been recently introduced.

What I have also learned is how harmful (to our babies and the environment) the chemicals used to manufacture disposable diapers can be. So, I have committed to trying cloth diapers. They are an investment (per se); so, we are buying a few at a time.

What concerns me also is the fact that because I have to wash these cloth diapers, first to rinse them off and then in the washing machine, I am using more water and detergent. And, the factor that pushes it over the edge is the use of my gas dryer to dry them (studies have shown that unless cloth diapers are line-dried in the sun 100% of the time, they are in fact more harmful to the environment because of the use of electricity and gas). I also don't like using so much water. But, I want to make sure what I put on my baby is clean and sanitized.

I like that I am in control of how clean the cloth diapers are. I like that the ones I chose (http://www.fuzzibunz.com/) are made in the USA. I like that I know what detergents (i.e. chemicals) are used on them.

OK...then, we have disposable diapers again...I found a product that wraps into a reusable cover(http://www.gdiapers.com/) but, when you toss it out it biodegrades in something like 96 hours (as opposed to something like 300 years for typical disposable diapers). This only works if you keep a compost bin. Because, after researching how landfills work (they are kept as dry as possible) it would likely not biodegrade as quickly in a typical landfill (there are some that are better/"greener" than others). These may be worth trying...I will look into the expense.

It is difficult to get away from using plastic (i.e. petroleum-based products) as far as diapering your child goes. The cloth diapers I chose are made with microfiber fleece and a soft waterproof exterior and have plastic snaps. There are wool diapers out there; but, I have not seen them or tried them...only heard about them...

I was also hoping to save money using cloth diapers. We will have to see. My son is only three weeks old.

We are currently using a mix of disposables and cloth diapers. So, my quest to do what is best for my family in harmony with the earth continues on a trial and error basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment