Friday, June 27, 2014

Baptized for the FIRST time!

About a week ago, I was baptized for the first time in my life. 

I was raised a Jehovah's Witness; and, when you "come of age", typically around the age of 12 or 13, you decide if you want to go through a special study with an elder (I believe) and choose to be baptized.  I never chose that.  There are so many reasons.  Mostly, it was just a tremendously difficult and scary time in my life, when everything I knew had been flipped upside down.  Then, I started going to other churches, exploring other religions, and gaining a better understanding of the world, this life on earth and beyond.

The years between then and now, I feel as though I have been on a journey.  I was never flippant about my mistakes, instead I often felt/feel deeply ashamed; and, I HID behind many masks. So, I decided I wanted to be more genuine; and, I feel, little by little, I am able to better BE ME.  Part of it is discovering who I am and what God wants for me.  I also had/have this strong desire to "right" my wrongs and to stop doing things I am not proud of.  But, the last two years, in particular, my eyes and heart have been more open, seeking more, wanting more.  I have learned that when I share my mistakes, I am less likely to feel ashamed, less likely to feel the need to cover up WHO I AM.  I also love to share my experiences because I know none of us our perfect, that all of us have "something"; and, when we share, we INSPIRE. 

But, there was something missing.  God led me to see that he wanted me to be baptized.  That is a great feeling.  I don't feel like what was missing is fulfilled; I feel like (whatever is planned for me)
is more POSSIBLE now and I can't really explain why.  I am learning and growing every day.  I pray that I will always learn and grow and seek, with love and hope.

I was baptized by Pastor John Nordstrom, current Teaching Pastor at Christ Community Church of Ottawa.  I am so grateful that my husband and I (and now our family) found this community to learn from and practice with and worship with.  I must say there were comments about the baby in my belly getting a "2 for 1"; but, it was only in jest because I want all of my children to make the decision (to be baptized) for themselves.

I am excited and grateful for today and hopeful for every tomorrow I am given.  Amen.








No comments:

Post a Comment