Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Theory behind consumerism

Did you know in order for my cloth diapers to be effectively absorbent, the detergent has to be clean rinsing (no residue)? So, I use Charlie's Soap, http://www.charliesoap.com/ (at the recommendation of my friends and many cloth diaper websites). Because there is no residue, you DON'T NEED fabric softener in the washer or the dryer (leaving more residue to "soften" what was left of the detergent). I honestly did not know that many other detergents leave a residue. Without the need for fabric softener, there is less to buy.

With two young kids and my growing knowledge of all things green, we have begun using a more natural shampoo (98.6% natural ingredients). The first time I used it, it left my hair so soft, I DID NOT NEED conditioner. Hmmm... I tried it again on another day, same thing. My hair had body and was not left limp with the apparent residue intended to be covered (?) by conditioner. So, now, we can soon stop buying fabric softener and conditioner (after we use up what we have...I really don't like to waste!).

Oddly, these things got me thinking about WHY we are buying ever more stuff...and why we think we NEED it all. Mind you, I am not a conspiracy theorist; but, I can't stop thinking about this.

I believe some things were invented to be able to produce enough to have enough jobs for our growing population. I believe it got out of control (when things seemed to be "working" in the gluttenous '80s and people wanted it to continue) and now the "system" is pulling back the reins. I believe there will be new jobs created for things we KNOW we NEED right now instead of producing things we THINK we WANT.

We need better infrastructure in this country and people to build it...not just our roads and bridges and railways (we are so far behind!); but, also our homes. Homes should be built to last centuries not decades...! I definitely don't have all the answers. This is just my humble theory based on knowing a little and observing a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment