Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Zucchini Bread Recipe

All of my friends are harvesting zucchini from their gardens...we, unfortately, are not. But, I still LOVE zucchini! Enjoy this in-season vegetable on the grill, roasted in the oven (with some garden fresh tomatoes, too!) or in this quickbread.

I altered a Betty Crocker recipe for this one. I often make 3 or more breads at a time…because one cup of zucchini is like 1/3 of a medium large zucchini. I LOVE this bread and it always turns out well…no matter what I substitute…except the sugar (but, I have been known to lessen the amount to ½ or ¾ cups)…the reason it stays moist is because the sugar brings out the juices in the zucchini. I LOVE the lemon zest in here…but, it is optional as are the chocolate chips I add for the kiddies (and me!). This bread freezes very well!

½ c. butter (I sometimes use canola oil)
1 c. sugar
1 c. shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1 egg
¼ t. finely shredded lemon peel
½ c. whole wheat flour*
¼ c. flax seed meal*
¼ c. wheat germ*
½ c. all purpose flour*
1 t. ground cinnamon
½ t. baking soda
¼ t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
¼ t. ground nutmeg

*I vary these amounts based on what I have and how much I am making…always to equal 1 ½ cups.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and half inch up sides of loaf pan/s (works just as well in an 8x8, too…but, I shorten the cooking time).

In a medium bowl, combine flours, flax seed meal, wheat germ, baking soda, salt, baking powder , nutmeg and cinnamon; set aside.

In another medium bowl, combine zucchini and butter, then add sugar and lemon peel and egg. Combine with dry ingredients. Stir until moistened.

Spoon batter into prepared pan/s. Bake 55-60 minutes (depends on your pan and your oven) until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on rack.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,

    Myrna and I love the recipe. we have made it twice already.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete