Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gluten Free Flour Substitutes

A few months in to my gluten-free life, I have been tampering with more recipes and finding my favorite substitutes.

I have tried Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and I don't like the flavor very much (most likely the bean flours). In most of my recipes (my scones, my chocolate chip cookies, my oatmeal cookies and my pancakes to name a few), a substitution of half rice flour and half oat flour (along with some xantham gum) works the best.

I purchased a 4-pack of Bob's Red Mill Organic Brown Rice Flour on Amazon.com for a few dollars less than I could've gotten it at the grocery store (if they even carry it).

I have also found that rice flour works just as well in my roux for cream sauces and soups.

I have tried quinoa flour (not bad, but expensive!) and I will also try making some bread with it.

I have tried corn flour which I have had before and I may try with some other combinations.

I have also tried sorghum flour and millet flour (as part of a bread mix) and I find them both a little too sweet.

I will keep working on combinations; but, my favorite "go to" flour is definitely brown rice flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment