Saturday, February 26, 2011

"No, Gracias"

Before we left for Mexico, we had spoken a little Spanish at home; but, not enough for the boys to be drawn in. When we returned, they had both learned some phrases that stuck.

My 22-month-old knows that "Gracias" and "De nada" are "Thank you" and "Your welcome"; so, when I say "Thank you", he says, "Gracias". His favorite phrase right now is, "No, Gracias". So, when I say, "Sweetie, Do you want some cereal?", his response is, "No, Gracias".

I don't recall actually saying that phrase. I have often said, "No, Thank you"...but, I think it is cool that he learned to say it in Spanish. He also loves to say, "Buenas noches" (good night).

My boys both bonded with their grandparents (and cousins and aunts and uncles) in Mexico. But, there were moments when my Spanish-speaking in laws and my 22-month-old clearly understood each other. That was really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment