Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hello Quinoa!

I was intimidated to buy quinoa (naturally gluten free "super" grain) and even more intimidated to cook it. I finally bought some (on sale) and it was in my cabinet for more than a couple of months...until this week!

I was determined to use what I had to prepare our meals this week. So, out came the quinoa (with a recipe from "Super Natural Cooking" by Heidi Swanson). After rinsing it thoroughly, it took about 30 minutes to cook, using the following recipe. The results? Deeelicious! My 21 month old loved it, I loved it, my husband loved it and my 4 1/2 year old took more than 2 bites! Woo Hoo! Enjoy!


Quinoa and Crescenza with Sauteed Mushrooms

Rinse quinoa thoroughly, running under water for about 1 minute, with a fine mesh strainer.

6 T clarified butter or olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
2 c. quinoa (any variety), rinsed
1 c. good quality white wine (the author noted this could be replaced by a light tasting vegetable broth, which is what I used)
1 t. fine grain sea salt, plus more as needed to taste
2 c. water
2 big pinches of red pepper flakes (I omitted this for my boys)
1 pound mushrooms, sliced 1/4" thick (I had white button mushrooms on hand; but, I am sure that any variety would be delicious)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 - 4 oz. Crescenza cheese (the author noted this could be replaced by gruyere, which is what I had on hand to use, or another melting cheese)

Heat 3 T of the butter or olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the garlic and onion and saute for 5 minutes or until the onion softens and becomes translucent. Add the quinoa, wine and 1 t. salt, bring to a boil, and continue boiling for 3-4 minutes, until the liquid has reduced a bit.

Add the water, return to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the quinoa opens up, revealing a little spiral, and is soft and pleasant to chew. (I followed this and had to add extra broth and water at the end because it was starting to burn and seemed too dry...I added about 1 1/2 c. more and it was just right...it may have been my pan or the level of heat).

Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a skillet over medium high heat, along with the red pepper flakes and a few pinches of salt. Stir in the mushrooms and cook without stirring for a few minutes, until they've begun to brown and release their juices. Then shake the skillet every few minutes until the mushrooms are evenly browned, about 4 more minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Once the quinoa is perfectly tender yet textured, drain off any excess liquid and stir in the cheese. Ladle into bowls and top with the mushrooms. Like I said, "deeeeelicious"!

Heidi Swanson also blogs at www.101cookbooks.com

Next up from this cookbook, Quinoa and Corn Flour Crepes...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment