Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Changing Consumerism

I can't remember the last time I went shopping without a purpose. I always have a list, whether I am going to the grocery store, the mall or downtown.

There once was a time when I would just "go shopping", spending my hard-earned money (all of it, I might add) on things I thought were "cute" or "cool" or "a good deal".

I cannot pinpoint exactly the moment that I made a change to more purposeful, more conscious (in many ways!) shopping. I feel like it started before I got married; and, it must've been a gradual process. It could have been when we started shopping for furniture. It could have been that I began to have more important things to do and think about!

Also, the year we were married, we were both laid off from our jobs, we moved from Chicago to a small town (Ottawa, IL) and we bought a house. Did I mention it was the year we were married? So, juggling our wedding budget (we paid for it all ourselves), our budget for buying a house, getting appliances, and making sure we had enough to live on (and still getaway for our honeymoon) may have inspired me to do more mindful shopping. I was (and am) not only concerned about the cost and the appearance of things, but also the impact on the environment. Research, research, research. Hello, mindful shopping.

Next came tracking our expenses in order to be more mindful of EVERYTHING. After tracking our expenses for a few months, I put together a household budget. I still track ALL of our expenses. I know exactly when grocery prices go up because little pennies add up to big dollars each month; so, I have to constantly figure out where to cut back. Now that we have kids, being mindful has become even more important.

There are not only changes in prices, but in how things are made. I continue to check ingredient lists, consumer research sites and environmental sites to make sure the things I like are still the same quality. It feels good to buy the things I need and like and to stay within our budget. Try it!
P.S. I still go "window shopping", whether online or on the street. It is always nice to dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment