Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gluten Free Waffles!

When I was a kid, my mom loved to make heart-shaped waffles (she is crazy about hearts). But, she had a recipe that I was finally able to replicate...they were so good, I had to! The only waffles that have come close to these (that I have not been able to make gluten-free) was a recipe from my sister-in-law, using a sourdough starter. I found a recipe for "Norwegian Sour Cream Waffles" that was close to my mom's, added my gluten-free ingredients and, voila!

This morning, for the first time since going gluten-free, I made waffles for my family.

Gluten-Free Norwegian Waffles

5 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. gluten free flour blend (I use 2 parts organic brown rice flour and 1 part tapioca flour)
1 t. ground cardamom or ginger or lemon zest (I used cardamom for the first time ever this morning; but, my mom's way is with lemon zest...I love them both!)
1 c. sour cream (this morning, I had some part-skim ricotta I need to use up...worked great!)
4 T. unsalted butter, melted

Beat the eggs and sugar together for 5-10 minutes (I throw it in my stand mixer and wait until they are super-frothy and thick). With a rubber spatula, fold in half the flour, cardamom (or ginger or lemon zest) and sour cream (or ricotta cheese), and then the remaining flour/s.. Lightly stir in the melted butter and set the batter aside for 10 minutes. Heat waffle iron. Pour about 3/4 c. of the batter in the center (I used the belgian waffle side this morning because I did not feel like turning them around) and close the lid to cook for 5 minutes. Serve with jam (they suggested lingonberry in the recipe; but, we used strawberry jam that was just sweetened with fruit juice). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment