Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My Dad

Well, my dad's last visit to our naturopathic doctor was good.  His trans fats are going down and his overall health is improving.  His short-term memory has definitely improved and he is now down to just two medications a day.  He is taking chlorella and amino acids to reduce the toxins in his body and further enable his body to heal.  He experiences very little pain and sleeps well at night and gets around well during the day.  We even recently got a basketball hoop for him from Freecycle (thank you again, kind lady!) because that has always been his favorite pastime.  He has already enjoyed making baskets (lowered a bit; but, high enough for an ego boost!).

However, he has had a dramatic weight loss in the last few months.  He only weighs 126 now (and, he is 6'2").  I honestly don't know how much he weighed in February or even last year.  I do know that it seemed his weight loss was slow at first (I thought because of his eating healthier); but, it has seemed to go faster the last 3-4 months...and, obviously there is not more to lose!  I was concerned about that and his muscle weakness; so, I contacted his medical doctor.  She ran some blood tests which revealed some slight anemia, but nothing else.  She probed him and checked his heart and lungs and said, "he does not have much time left."  I started crying (thankfully, my dad was not in the room).  She may be right; but, she may be wrong.  Only God knows when he will take my dad home.

After consulting with my siblings (who have offered their input), we do not want to do any invasive, risky and uncomfortable tests because we also don't want him to go through treatment that could be painful in his already weakened state.  I hope that I am doing the best things for him--keeping him as happy and as comfortable as I can, as long as I can.  I pray that when his time comes, he is not in pain (physical or emotional) and that he is at peace.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment