Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Self Expectations

Recently, our nephew and his family stayed with us.  My 6-year-old did not remember, until they arrived, that three of them did not speak English (including the two kids), as they live in Mexico.

I was a little surprised (mixed feelings, really...pride? protectiveness?) to find him in his room with his door closed shortly after he greeted them with a wave (instead of words).  He had his Spanish-English books out, trying to figure out what words he wanted to use to communicate with them.  I assured him that he would be able to easily communicate with the girls through play and that he could speak English whenever he wanted.  He did not believe me at first; but, he opened up and soon no one could see the language barrier.

Today, my 3-year-old was at his library story hour (among mostly 4-year-olds).  They were spelling out "a-p-p-l-e" in a variety of ways and identifying letters.  When we got to the car to come home, he told me that "he wanted to do his letters on the computer" (he really likes www.starfall.com).  I did not know what to say; but, I do know that I do not want to put more pressure on him than he is already putting on himself.  I just want to make available to him opportunities to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment