Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gluten Free Update

The first week, I used things we already had. The second week, I bought brown rice flour and a friend gave me some white rice flour. It is amazing what we can cook without gluten! The first thing I "re"made was my scones. Besides needing a little extra moisture and less time in the oven, they were fantastic! Better than the original recipe! Hello yummy!

The second thing I remade was my pancakes, which tasted yummy with 1 c. white rice flour and 1 c. brown rice flour in place of the white wheat flour; but, they stuck more to the pan and were a bit dry. I plan to attempt my pancakes again with gluten free oat flour, which I purchased this week.

I have tried eating gluten a couple of times and I notice it in my body almost instantly. I have more mucous for a couple of days, I sneeze more and I often get pains in my back (gall bladder?) that make it hard for me to breathe. When I consume gluten-free foods, I do not get those pains. I also haven't noticed any of the strange symptoms that prompted my doctor to suggest the change in the first place (itchy hands and feet, mild vertigo, etc.).

Last night, I remade my chocolate chip cookies with oat flour. They were fantastic! But, I do have to fiddle with the baking time a bit.

I think this will work. I think I might like eating gluten free (so, hopefully my family does, too!).

1 comment:

  1. S is gluten free now (it's been a few months) and she's noticed an INCREDIBLE difference in how she feels. I am not ready to make the transition.

    I think I'm going to soon... because really... once I start baking and cooking with oat flour and rice flour, why not?

    ReplyDelete