Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Stand Up Straight"

I recently thought of something that a friend told me long ago; and, I can relate it to how I would like to raise my children. I was showing a friend some pictures of me with my girlfriends on spring break; and, in the pictures, I was always slouching and leaning down so that I was at the same height as my friends.

He told me, "Why aren't you standing up straight? You should stand up straight and be who you are."

For some reason, those simple, yet poignant, words resonated with me in a big way. I have done my best to "stand up straight" ever since. I like who I am.

There is a lot to be said for dialogue...those all-important conversations when both parties are open and respectful so that it gives each person room to maintain their integrity and "be who they are" and also be open to new ideas and perspectives. Some call it, debating. Sometimes it sounds more like arguing. But, a great debate should make both parties feel good! We should never feel like we have to suppress important feelings and ideas.

We have to choose when to remain silent and when to create dialogue. Truthfully, this is something I am still learning to do. It is really hard.

I hope to teach my children to "stand up straight and be who they are" in pictures and in life. I want them to have room to express themselves but also be open to others' ideas and perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment