Saturday, May 7, 2011

Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins

These muffins are fantastic! You would never know they are gluten-free! I modified a recipe from the blog, http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com. The blogger got her recipe from the cookbook, "Gluten-Free Baking Classics", by Annalise Roberts. I have made these a couple of times and I found it was very easy to make substitutions! Enjoy my version or yours!

Heavenly Blueberry Muffins

2 c. brown rice flour mix (I used 1 part tapioca flour to 2 parts brown rice flour; but, the original author/chef recommended 2 c. brown rice flour, 2/3 c. potato starch and 1/3 c. tapioca flour)

2/3 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. xanthan gum
1/4 t. sea salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 1/2 c. unsweetened blueberries (I used frozen organic blueberries)
1/2 c. milk (I have used coconut milk and regular milk; the blogger used vanilla almond milk)
1/2 c. canola oil (I prefer melted coconut oil. I have also used melted unsalted butter)
2 large eggs
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Streusel Topping
1/2 c. brown rice flour mix (see above)
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. xanthan gum
3 T. unsalted butter, melted (I want to try coconut oil, but I haven't yet)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Position rack in center of oven. Grease muffin tins.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and nutmeg in large mixing bowl. Add blueberries and stir to coat evenly.

Combine milk and oil/butter in a small bowl; remove 1 T. of combined liquid and discard it (I did not do this the second time and it was totallly fine). Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add liquids to blueberry mixture and stir until just blended.

Fill muffin pans 2/3 full. Sprinkle with streusel topping. Bake 18-25 minutes until lightly golden (and spring back from touch). Remove muffins from pan and serve or cool on rack. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment