Saturday, May 21, 2011

Some of my Favorite Things...

Not being able to enjoy whatever I want, whenever I want, is tough! (I really did/do eat well...I just also love to treat myself!) Having previously avoided many pre-packaged foods (in favor of homemade), there are a few gluten-free "treats" I have come to enjoy!

For example, this morning my family and I tried Kinnikinick Gluten-Free Donuts, Cinnamon Sugar (in the freezer section). They were delicious! Just the tiniest difference from the "real thing".

I also finally found a bread that I love! I mean it! In the gluten-free section at a nearby Jewel, I found Schar Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread. This bread is made in Europe and the company has been making gluten-free products for decades; so, practice must make (almost) perfect! Please note that I have so far only made grilled cheese; but the flavor and texture far surpass any other gluten-free breads we have tried. Toasting or grilling gluten-free breads is probably going to give you the best results.

My whole family also loves Udi's Gluten-Free Pizza Crust. I just found some in the "soon to expire" bin at our grocery store and I was even more excited to pay half price! These range from $4.99 to $6.99 for 2 single-serve (double for us) pizza crusts; but, they are delicious and still less than a restaurant, which I can't eat anymore anyway.

What I have found (from being in the practice of always reading ingredient lists) is most gluten-free products are also made with wholesome, healthy ingredients and very few (rarely any) preservatives. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment