Friday, November 9, 2012

More Memories

I was reading a beautifully written article by Lee Woodruff, excerpting her book about her father with dementia, called "Those We Love Most".  She wrote about her dad teaching her the box step.

I remember that, too.  I remember dancing with my dad at a wedding, doing the box step.  I was not very good (I may have been 6 or 7).  I was wearing a long dress.  It was at a big hall of some sort.  I don't even remember who was getting married.  As an ordained minister, my dad married a lot of people...it may have been one of those times.

As a young girl, I often remember standing on my dad's feet in the living room, as he tried to teach me.  My dad has always loved music...and, singing along.  He used to have a nice smooth voice, like Bing Crosby (one of his favorites).  My dad had a large record collection that I think is now split between two of my siblings.  We had a large phonograph long into my teens (it was a piece of furniture with speakers on the front and two doors on top that slid between the turntable and record storage).  My first music purchase was a "Bangles" record (because that was the only music player in our house). 

My husband is the only other man I have danced with.  We don't do the box step; but, my husband makes me look good on the dance floor.  My whole family loves to dance; but, usually it's just a time to be loose and silly.  I might have to get some more lessons from dad so that I can teach my sons the box step.

No comments:

Post a Comment