Thursday, November 1, 2012

Optometrists, Help!

Oh my goodness!  I thought it was hard just to get my contact lens prescription (so that I could comparison shop).  But, it was infinitely harder to get an optometrist to recommend a natural, preservative-free way to clean my contacts and better care for my eyes!

Let me tell you where this started...again, what you don't know (it CAN hurt you!).  I was getting my eye exam 2 years ago and they asked me about the type of contact lens solution I used.  I told them I was getting the generic brand and they recommended I only buy name brands because they have "less preservatives".  I caught that, "less" and have been trying to research it ever since...with not much luck, honestly!

So, this time, I bravely decided to ask the optometrist about it.  He briefly mentioned the "peroxide method" and then tried to convince me I needed daily wear contacts instead of biweekly.  I went home and immediately researched this peroxide method.  Hallelujah!  I found it!  I found a 3% peroxide solution with neutralizers in cases (they are most often sold together) at Walgreens and I use Unisol 4 preservative free saline solution.  After the first two times of following the instructions (if you don't rinse with saline, you could burn your eye!), I had it down!  It doesn't take much longer...it costs about the same as the expensive Opti-Free I was using (for the peroxide and the saline and the quantity used) and my eyes always feel great (they don't dry out anymore!).

I also have to add that they asked me WHY I wanted a preservative-free option.  What? (is what I was thinking).  I told him that I don't want preservatives in my food OR in my personal care products, especially for something as important and FRAGILE as my eye!  Because what goes ON also goes IN!  Good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment