Thursday, December 19, 2013

The GREAT Compromise

We visit my dad at least a couple of times per week; and, we (now) have to ring a doorbell to enter his wing at his care facility.  I was getting tired of having my boys fight and race each other to ring the doorbell (I really don't understand the appeal) OR ringing the doorbell twice, possibly annoying the nurses answering the door.  So, I told them one time that they had to decide who was going to ring the doorbell BEFORE they got to the door.

One day, as we were walking down the hall toward the door in my dad's wing, my youngest remembered this "rule".  So, he started trying to convince my oldest why he should ring the doorbell.  It ended up that my 4yo had to give something to my 7yo in EXCHANGE for ringing the doorbell.  So, they both agreed that was what would happen.

After we left my dad's wing, my 7yo remembered that his brother needed to give him something.  (Please note that we give the kids multivitamins every day; and, we got one they did not like.  I had tried (and failed) to return them; so, I told the boys we would have them every other day so they don't go to waste.  Then, one day, we were down to one of each--one they liked and one they didn't like; so, I told them what to expect the next day.)  So, I suggested he could give up some of his "electronic minutes" (earned from chores); but, he paused and thought for a moment.  My 4yo then told my 7yo that "he would take the "bad" vitamin tomorrow".  Wow, great idea, buddy!  Then, I asked my 7yo if he agreed.

Number one, I was impressed that he remembered.  Number two, I was impressed that he KNEW he was giving my 7yo something good.  And, number three, I WISH it was like that all the time.  It is not.  But, a mom can dream, right?

I am just grateful for this one GREAT compromise.  And, I am hoping to continue to enable my kids to make more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment