Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pride

As my children grow and learn new skills, I notice things that increase their budding self-esteem. I love that my 3 year old has learned to ride a tricycle and races along on the sidewalk and just beams with pride when he looks up as he passes me. His happiness shows more when he is proud of himself.

Of course, we are still working through the agony and frustration (and tantrums) that occur while we are learning new skills. This is a new skill in and of itself--to control our emotions. I have come to find this is a skill I am still learning as well. But, when we are both able to remain calm, we take time to recognize that and take pride in that moment.

My 3 month old is a charmer and learning to communicate his needs with sounds other than crying. He is visibly proud when he is able to control his hands enough to reach out and touch his toy to make a noise. I love this. I love watching my boys grow and learn and be proud of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment