Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Homemade Granola

I adapted a recipe I found online from Better Homes and Gardens (a magazine I never knew I would enjoy reading). I love some granola with my yogurt & berries or just with milk...great any time of year and posted here by request! I make lots of different varieties with nuts and dried fruit and sometimes without cinnamon; but, this one is my favorite.

2 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 c. coconut
1/3 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. toasted wheat germ
1/2 c. flaxseed meal
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. honey
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. sliced almonds (or more!)
1 c. dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 300 degree F. Lightly butter the inside of a large roasting pan. Add oatmeal, coconut, sunflower seeds, wheat germ and flaxseed meal. Spread evenly. Bake for 20-45 minutes (original recipe says 20 minutes...I always toast it longer!), stirring often.

In small saucepan, mix butter, brown sugar and honey. Stir occasionally over medium heat until mixture is combined. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and cinnamon.

Remove roasting pan from oven. Turn up the heat to 350 degrees F. Pour warm brown sugar mixture over oatmeal mixture and stir thoroughly with a fork. Bake for 1o minutes more.

Remove from oven and stir in cranberries and almonds. Firmly press granola mixture into pan, making an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes more or until golden brown. Remove pan from oven and place on cooling rack. Remove granola with a spatula and place on foil to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment