Thursday, September 12, 2013

Imperfection

I used to strive for perfection.  I never attained it; but, I never stopped trying. Then, "it" happened slowly.  Starting 7 (or so) years ago (my oldest is 7), I stopped trying to make sure everything was perfect all the time.  I just recently noticed this.  And, I believe I am the better for it.

Less stressing.  Less worrying (especially about what others think/say/do to me).  Less lying awake at night.  Trying to be a lot less self-centered.  The quest for perfection was a selfish and lonely one.  A sad one.

When striving for perfection, I would gloss over my mistakes (instead of learning from them).  There are so many other things I missed out on.  I feel good about this imperfect journey.

I am trying to accept me as I am.  All my mistakes (tons!).  All my faults (eek!).  All my love.  All of me.  And, I am trying to teach my children to do the same.

I desperately want my children to see how wonderfully imperfect they are.  And, we thank God every day for all the gifts He has given them (all the challenges, all the wonders, all the opportunities to be forgiven, everything).

Imperfection is the new "perfect".

No comments:

Post a Comment