Monday, September 2, 2013

Relief?

One week ago, we checked my dad into Ottawa Pavilion, a care facility.

I thought I would feel a huge relief (from the time and stress of caring for dad).  But, I didn't.  It is coming slowly.

My youngest son was just 2 when my dad moved in with us.  So, basically, having grandpa here is all he knows.  Needless to say, he has been "acting out" all week long during this transition time.  Yikes!  This too shall pass, right?

I haven't been myself, either, during this change.  Again, I expected to feel a huge relief.  But, I just started noticing an improvement in my bad mood in the last 2 days.  That does not help me to provide extra love for my son during his "acting out" of his emotions.  Again, I have been doing better the last couple of days.

During these times, I often turn to my friends.  But, my husband is out of town for a week and illness is going around; so, I have not been able to get some much-needed perspective (or alone time, lol).

But, my dad is doing better than I expected during this change.  He is content every time we see him (but, tired; I will have to address that with his nurses).  I hope that he continues to have many good days and that he is comfortable and content.  I pray for that. 

Relief is coming slowly.  Thankful.  Breathing.


2 comments:

  1. You did the best that you could do for him, and that's all there is to be done. It's never easy dealing with decisions like these for our loved ones, since there are so many things to take care of, and you're never sure if what you're doing is really right. But we'll always try our best for their sake. And it's important to take care of ourselves too, or we'll also get burnt out from the stress.

    Heal at Home

    ReplyDelete