Sunday, October 30, 2011

Open to Interpretation

I sometimes disagree with my pastor's teachings (gasp!) and I do not agree with many of the fundamental bible teachings I learned as a child (double gasp!). But, I don't feel like the people teaching me are wrong. I just don't agree with them. I respect and honor their interpretations of His word. I also find them intriguing and seek to understand why that is what they believe.

I have intelligent, deeply spiritual friends who do not believe in God. That is what they believe; so, I don't think they are wrong. This doesn't even make sense to me as I write it. But, this is how I feel. I don't believe anyone who listens to their heart to find their way through this world can be wrong.

Having said that, I don't believe in violence; so, when someone believes there is a God who wants them to hurt or kill someone, I think they are wrong. This is the only exception I have.

I believe God resides within every one of us. I believe he is all around us--omniscient, omnipresent. I believe he is always waiting for us to listen to Him. I believe he reveals Himself in loving acts, and of course, in miracles. I believe He loves us unconditionally. I believe He created the earth for us to live for all eternity (I don't believe that I will live forever; but, people and animals and nature will, through constant change and renewal). I believe He made everything and everyone to live and to die, for that is the only way we can live on earth for all eternity...to die...to renew. Dirt to dirt. Dust to dust.

I don't believe anyone has been "chosen". I believe God created every one of us as equals. Every person is important and loved by Him, no matter what...no matter what we believe (even the ones who believe He would want them to hurt someone). Go ahead, disagree. Listen to YOUR heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment